by Anthony Rosenbaum
oil on canvas, 1874-1880
32 in. x 60 in. (813 mm x 1524 mm)
Given by Hon. Frederick Gustavus Hamilton-Russell, 1939
Artistback to top
- Anthony Rosenbaum (circa 1831-1888), Painter. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Sittersback to top
- Henry Edward Bird (1830-1908), Chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Joseph Henry Blackburne (1841-1924), Chess player. Sitter in 2 portraits.
- Richard Dawson, 1st Earl of Dartrey (1817-1897), Landowner and chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Charles Godfrey Gumpel (1835-1921), Creator of Mephisto, a chess-playing automaton. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Bernhard Horwitz (1807-1885), Chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Johann Jakob Lowenthal (1810-1876), Chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- George Alcock Macdonnell (1830-1899), Chess player and columnist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- James Mason (1849-1905), Chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Anthony Rosenbaum (circa 1831-1888), Painter. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Wilhelm Steinitz (1836-1900), Austrian chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- George Walker (1803-1879), Chess player and columnist. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Johannes Hermann Zukertort (1842-1888), Chess player. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 718
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1874back to top
Current affairsDisraeli becomes Prime Minister for the second time, winning the general election and giving the Conservative party its first absolute majority since the 1840s.
Professional opportunities for women develop, with the opening of the London School of Economics to women, the foundation of the London School of Medicine for Women and the Women's Protective and Provident League.
Art and scienceThe Anonymous Society of Painters, Sculptors, Printmakers, etc., including Claude Monet, Edgar Degas, and Camille Pissarro organise an exhibition in Paris. Art critic Louis Leroy gives the group its name, criticising Monet's Impression, Sunrise for being merely an unfinished 'impression'. Impressionism becomes recognisable for techniques such as short, broken brushstrokes barely conveying forms, pure unblended colours, and an emphasis on the effects of light.
InternationalBritain annexes the Gold Coast, the region on the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa, now the independent nation of Ghana, following the second Ashanti war. The Treaty of Fomena secured massive financial reparations for the British, and strengthened their hold on the prosperous resources and trade routes in the regions. However, weakening the Ashanti tribe greatly destabilised the area.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.