- Extended Catalogue Entry
after Sir Thomas Lawrence
pencil and wax crayon on paper, circa 1830-1839, based on a work of circa 1790-1795
6 1/4 in. x 4 3/4 in. (159 mm x 121 mm)
Given by Harold Hartley, 1935
Sitterback to top
- James Boswell (1740-1795), Biographer of Dr Johnson. Sitter associated with 16 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 687 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Capturing Boswell late in life, this semi-caricature presents a rather self-important looking man. The exaggerated double chin and protruding nose reflect what the writer Fanny Burney (1752-1840) called his 'comic serious face and manner'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 63
- Levey, Michael, Sir Thomas Lawrence, 1979 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 9 November 1979 - 16 March 1980)
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 68
Events of 1790back to top
Current affairsAttempts to modify the Test and Corporation Acts are defeated, despite campaigning by dissenters such as the prominent Unitarian preacher and pamphleteer, Richard Price. The Acts prevented those outside the established church from holding government or military office.
Art and scienceJoseph Mallord William Turner exhibits his first painting at the Royal Academy; a watercolour of The Archbishop's Palace, Lambeth.
The Firth to Clyde and Oxford to Birmingham canals are begun.
InternationalEdmund Burke publishes Reflections on the Revolution in France. A landmark work of opposition to the Revolution which offered a critique of the radical philosophy behind events in France; the Reflections have been read as an articulation of the foundations of modern British conservatism. George Vancouver explores the north west coast of America.
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Duplicate of Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history