Free Church Committee
3 of 3 portraits of John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane
Free Church Committee
by David Octavius Hill, and Robert Adamson
5 3/4 in. x 7 7/8 in. (144 mm x 200 mm)
Given by an anonymous donor, 1973
Sittersback to top
- John Campbell, 2nd Marquess of Breadalbane (1796-1862), Politician; MP for Perthshire and Okehampton and Lord Chamberlain of the Household. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
- Sir David Brewster (1781-1868), Natural philosopher and academic administrator. Sitter in 18 portraits. Identify
- John Hamilton (1799-1851). Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Alexander Earle Monteith (1793-1861), Sheriff and Free Churchman. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- David Welsh (1793-1845), Scottish divine and writer. Sitter in 4 portraits. Identify
Artistsback to top
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1843back to top
Current affairsSir Henry Cole commissions 1,000 copies of the first Christmas card, designed by John Callcott Horsley. Cole would later be instrumental in staging the Great Exhibition, and in developing science and art education in Britain.
Nelson's statue, by E.H. Bailey, is placed on top of its column in Trafalgar Square.
Art and scienceThe Theatre Regulations Act is passed, abolishing the privileged position of the 'major' theatres which held letters patent from the crown, allowing all theatres to perform 'legitimate' theatre.
First volume of Ruskin's Modern Painters published, praising Turner and demanding that artists should demonstrate 'truth to nature' in their work. Ruskin is a great inspiration to the Pre-Raphaelites.
InternationalThe first experimental telegraph wire is constructed between Baltimore and Washington, using Morse code to send a message. The code, in which pulses of current deflect an electromagnet, moving a marker and producing written codes on a strip of paper, had been invented by Samuel Morse in 1838. The line officially opens in 1844.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.