1 of 120 portraits of Benjamin Britten
by Sarah Fanny Hockey
watercolour, circa 1920
7 1/4 in. x 5 1/8 in. (184 mm x 130 mm) oval
Bequeathed by William Plomer, 1973
Sitterback to top
- (Edward) Benjamin Britten, Baron Britten (1913-1976), Composer. Sitter in 120 portraits, Artist or producer of 5 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 77
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.
The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.
George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
Become a Member
Enjoy access to special events, discounts on the Gallery online shop, supporters’ updates and much more
Bringing people together by sharing the portraits and stories of the men and women who have shaped our nation.
Sign up to receive information on exhibitions, collections and activities of the National Portrait Gallery, including special offers, shop products, and exclusive competitions.
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Imogen Holst
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Eric Fenby
- Only Connect - Benjamin Britten <> Yehudi Menuhin
- Only Connect - Yehudi Menuhin <> Benjamin Britten
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Bill Brandt: Portraits 1982
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.