Henry William Bunbury
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Henry William Bunbury
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
pastel, circa 1788
12 3/8 in. x 10 3/8 in. (315 mm x 264 mm) oval
Sitterback to top
- Henry William Bunbury (1750-1811), Artist and caricaturist. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Bunbury, the amateur artist and caricaturist, is shown in this pastel portrait by Lawrence at the age of thirty-eight. He is seated at a table and engaged in drawing the dancing figures for his print A Long Minuet as Danced at Bath. The drawing was engraved by Dickinson and published in four plates in July 1787.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pickpocketing the rich : portrait painting in Bath 1720-1800, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Holburne Museum of Art, Bath, 25 June - 15 Sept. 2002), p. 89 number 61
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 87
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 74
Events of 1788back to top
Current affairsParliament begins an investigation into the slave trade, led by reformers Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce.
Regency Crisis; George III's madness is announced provoking a political storm.
Former Governor-General of Bengal Warren Hastings' trial begins before the House of Lords.
Henry Benedict Stuart becomes the new Stuart claimant to the British throne.
Art and scienceArtist Thomas Gainsborough dies.
First edition of The Times newspaper is published in London.
Scottish engineer and inventor William Symington demonstrates the first paddle steamer on Dalswinton Loch near Dumfries.
Robert Burns writes his version of the Scots poem Auld Lang Syne.
InternationalMinisters of the French King, Louis XVI, reluctantly announce that the Estates General will meet the following year, for the first time since 1614.
United States constitution comes into force when New Hampshire becomes the ninth state to ratify it.
First Fleet reaches Australia, anchoring in Botany Bay. Arthur Phillip, selecting a suitable site for the first Australian penal colony, names the place Sydney Cove.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.