1 of 37 portraits of Lord Byron
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Richard Westall
oil on canvas, 1813
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Artistback to top
- Richard Westall (1765-1836), History painter. Artist associated with 13 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The artist Richard Westall was employed by Byron’s publisher John Murray to illustrate Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. On 21 April 1813 Byron wrote to Murray that: 'I shall be in town on Sunday next & will call & have some conversation on the subject of Westall's proposed designs. - I am to sit to him for a picture at the request of a friend of mine'. The sitting resulted in this suitably dashing and romantic portrait. The friend who commissioned it was probably the radical MP Sir Francis Burdett.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Alexander, Christine (Christine Anne), Celebrating Charlotte Brontë : transforming life into literature in Jane Eyre, 2016, p. 66
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 4
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 6
- Ross, Josephine, Jane Austen and her World, 2017, p. 95
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 95
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 33
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 81
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mad, Bad and Dangerous: The Cult of Lord Byron (20 November 2002 - 16 February 2003)
Events of 1813back to top
Current affairsMachine breaking Luddite Riots end with seventeen executions in York. Radical John Cartwright's subsequent tour of the manufacturing districts has some success in quelling Luddite discontent with the foundation of the Hampden reform club network across the country.
East India Company is deprived of monopoly over trade with India.
Art and scienceMillenarian prophet Joanna Southcott, made famous by her visions of the second coming of Christ, announces herself 'with child' by the Holy Ghost.
Jane Austen publishes Pride and Prejudice.
InternationalVictorious Battle of St Pierre near Bayonne led by General Rowland Hill.
Battle of Leipzig ends in defeat for Napoleon.
Wellington's victory at Vittoria leads to British invasion of Southern France.
Americans capture and burn Toronto, defeat British in Battle of Lake Erie and recapture Detroit.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints