Maria, Lady Callcott
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Maria, Lady Callcott
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
oil on canvas, 1819
23 1/2 in. x 19 1/2 in. (597 mm x 495 mm)
Bequeathed by Elizabeth (née Rigby), Lady Eastlake, 1894
Sitterback to top
- Maria, Lady Callcott (1785-1842), Writer; former wife of Thomas Graham, and later wife of Sir Augustus Wall Callcott. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Painted in Rome in Eastlake's studio, the work of two hours, and exchanged by Lawrence for some of Eastlake's sketches of Roman scenes.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Birkett, Dea; Morris, Jan (foreword), Off the Beaten Track: Three Centuries of Women Travellers, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 7 July to 31 October 2004), p. 80
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 97
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 88
Events of 1819back to top
Current affairsPeterloo Massacre leaves eleven dead and four hundred wounded as crowds, gathered to hear radical Henry Hunt call for reform of the House of Commons, are forcibly dispersed.
Six Acts are passed, stiffening the 1795 Treason Act and introducing a tax on the periodical press which was viewed as seditious.
Art and sciencePercy Bysshe Shelley writes Ode to the West Wind during a year of extraordinary creativity in which he also finishes Prometheus Unbound.
Lord Byron publishes his tour-de-force Don Juan; one man's mock-epic odyssey through a world without fixed principles.
First ship with a steam engine crosses the Atlantic in twenty-eight days.
InternationalThomas Jefferson establishes the University of Virginia.
Royal Navy anti-slave squadron is set up to patrol the West African coastline.
French physician Rene Laennac invents the stethoscope.
Make a donation
Support our Make History appeal and help us transform the Gallery.
A unique range of books, accessories and gifts. Every purchase supports the Gallery’s work.
Bring a familiar face home
Refresh your home gallery with a huge selection of custom art prints .
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.