by or after Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger
oil on panel, 17th century, based on a work of 1609
22 1/4 in. x 16 1/2 in. (565 mm x 419 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Sitterback to top
- William Camden (1551-1623), Antiquary and historian. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Marcus Gheeraerts the Younger (1561 or 1562-1636), Painter. Artist or producer associated with 29 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The Latin motto on this portrait can be translated: in weight, not number.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya, Elizabeth I & Her People, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014), p. 211
- Joan Evans, A history of the Society of Antiquaries, 1956, p. facing p. 1
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 185
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 98
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 36
Events of 1609back to top
Current affairsJames I, Queen Anne and their children attend the inauguration of The New Exchange, a shopping centre built by Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury in the Strand. The opening underlined Salisbury's dominance in the development of this affluent area of London.
Soldier, Sir Francis Vere, is buried in Westminster Abbey.
Art and scienceHistorian and poet, Samuel Daniel, completes the last book of his epic poem, Civil Wars, a history of the hostilities between the royal houses of Lancaster and York. It was one of Daniel's greatest literary achievements.
Cornelius Drebbel invents the thermostat.
InternationalPromoted by administrator, Sir William Parsons, in the aftermath of the Nine Years' War, the Plantation of Ulster encourages English and Scottish Protestants to settle in Ireland and establish towns on land confiscated from Irish Catholics.
English castaways, destined for Virginia, are shipwrecked on Bermuda to become its first colonizers.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.