Catherine of Braganza
Catherine of Braganza
by or after Dirck Stoop
oil on canvas, circa 1660-1661
48 1/2 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1232 mm x 1003 mm)
Bequeathed by Harold Lee-Dillon, 17th Viscount Dillon, 1933
Sitterback to top
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this portrait Catherine is dressed in the Portuguese court style, which was mocked in England, and which she quickly abandoned.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Macleod, Catharine; Alexander, Julia Marciari, Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 11 October 2001 to 6 January 2002), p. 82
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 56
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 110
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 116
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 118
Events of 1660back to top
Current affairsThe Convention Parliament and Lords proclaim Charles II king after he issues a declaration from Breda offering an indemnity to those who had committed crimes against the crown during the civil war and Interregnum. Charles lands at Dover from The Hague on 25th May to great pomp and ceremony.
Art and scienceDiarist Samuel Pepys starts his diary on 1st January, writing in shorthand. The diary became a unique social document, opening with a brief summary of his domestic situation and the political background.
Dutch portrait painter, Peter Lely, is appointed principal painter to Charles II.
Official foundation of the Royal Society.
InternationalThe Anglo-Spanish War, begun by Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell, formally ends after the restoration of the British monarchy and peace is made with Philip IV of Spain.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.