Catherine of Braganza
1 of 8 portraits by Dirck Stoop
Catherine of Braganza
by or after Dirck Stoop
oil on canvas, circa 1660-1661
48 1/2 in. x 39 1/2 in. (1232 mm x 1003 mm)
Bequeathed by Harold Lee-Dillon, 17th Viscount Dillon, 1933
Sitterback to top
- Catherine of Braganza (1638-1705), Queen of Charles II. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this portrait Catherine is dressed in the Portuguese court style, which was mocked in England, and which she quickly abandoned.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Macleod, Catharine; Alexander, Julia Marciari, Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 11 October 2001 to 6 January 2002), p. 82
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 56
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 110
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 116
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 118
Events of 1660back to top
Current affairsThe Convention Parliament and Lords proclaim Charles II king after he issues a declaration from Breda offering an indemnity to those who had committed crimes against the crown during the civil war and Interregnum. Charles lands at Dover from The Hague on 25th May to great pomp and ceremony.
Art and scienceDiarist Samuel Pepys starts his diary on 1st January, writing in shorthand. The diary became a unique social document, opening with a brief summary of his domestic situation and the political background.
Dutch portrait painter, Peter Lely, is appointed principal painter to Charles II.
Official foundation of the Royal Society.
InternationalThe Anglo-Spanish War, begun by Lord Protector, Oliver Cromwell, formally ends after the restoration of the British monarchy and peace is made with Philip IV of Spain.
View a wide collection of video content on our YouTube channel from past projects to our latest films.
Artist and sitter interviews
Get insights into creating portraiture from BP Portrait Award 2020 artists and their sitters.
Watch our film created to say ‘goodbye’ to the Gallery before we closed for our major transformation project.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.