King Charles I
14 of 335 portraits of King Charles I
King Charles I
by Sir Henry Halford, 1st Bt
5 1/4 in. x 4 3/8 in. (133 mm x 111 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Sir Henry Halford, 1st Bt (1766-1844), Physician. Artist of 1 portrait, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
© Trustees of the British Museum
Meditations among the Tombs by George Cruikshank, published 1 May 1813
From left to right: Sir Henry Halford, King Henry VIII, King Charles I, The Prince Regent, later King George IV, Sir John McMahon, The Devil.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 64
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 116
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Charles I: King and Martyr (19 July 2008 - 14 December 2008)
Events of 1813back to top
Current affairsMachine breaking Luddite Riots end with seventeen executions in York. Radical John Cartwright's subsequent tour of the manufacturing districts has some success in quelling Luddite discontent with the foundation of the Hampden reform club network across the country.
East India Company is deprived of monopoly over trade with India.
Art and scienceMillenarian prophet Joanna Southcott, made famous by her visions of the second coming of Christ, announces herself 'with child' by the Holy Ghost.
Jane Austen publishes Pride and Prejudice.
InternationalVictorious Battle of St Pierre near Bayonne led by General Rowland Hill.
Battle of Leipzig ends in defeat for Napoleon.
Wellington's victory at Vittoria leads to British invasion of Southern France.
Americans capture and burn Toronto, defeat British in Battle of Lake Erie and recapture Detroit.
- Lunchtime Lecture: White King: the tragedy of Charles I
18 January 2018, 13:15
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer