King Charles II
King Charles II
after Adriaen Hanneman
oil on canvas, based on a work of 1648
29 1/2 in. x 25 1/2 in. (749 mm x 648 mm)
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Adriaen Hanneman (1601?-1671?), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 32 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 66
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 116
Events of 1648back to top
Current affairsResurgence of civil war largely ends at the battle of Preston, won by Parliamentarians under Oliver Cromwell's command.
Parliamentary General Henry Ireton's Army Remonstrance demands the king is tried an enemy of the state. Ireton also instigates a coups d'état, Pride's Purge, ridding Parliament of MPs supporting negotiations with Charles.
Art and scienceJohn Wilkins, Bishop of Chester, publishes Mathematical Magick, the first work in English on the fundamental principles of mechanics, conceived in the form of a practical manual.
InternationalA series of European treaties, negotiated since 1644, results in the Peace of Westphalia and ends the German phase of the Thirty Years' War, and war between the Dutch and Spain in the Eighty Years' War. Delegations are sent from around Europe, Henri II d'Orleans leads the French delegation.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- Charles II
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- landing banner 2
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- landing banner 1