King Charles II
15 of 295 portraits of King Charles II
King Charles II
after Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, feigned oval, based on a work of circa 1675
29 1/2 in. x 24 3/4 in. (749 mm x 629 mm)
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Charles spent his youth in exile on the continent, but remained resourceful and optimistic. He was restored to the throne in 1660, amid great rejoicing, but with limitations on his powers. He became adept at out-manoeuvring the opposition to his policies, particularly in matters of religion and foreign affairs. His brilliant court was notorious for its easy-going morality; the King had fourteen children by various mistresses, but no legitimate heir. He was succeeded on the throne by his brother James.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 117
Events of 1675back to top
Current affairsJames Scott, Duke of Monmouth oversees the suppression of the London weavers' riots which break out in the East End against the introduction of mechanised silk looms.
The great fire of Northampton quickly destroys the city. Charles II donates timber for its reconstruction.
Art and scienceCharles II founds the Royal Observatory in Greenwich and appoints John Flamsteed the first Astronomer Royal.
Royal approval is given to the 'Warrant' design, Sir Christopher Wren's design for the rebuilding of St. Paul's Cathedral devastated by the Great Fire (1666).
InternationalA naval campaign into the Mediterranean under the command of Sir John Narbrough, with protégé, Cloudesley Shovell as lieutenant, blockades the port of Tripoli and successfully halts persistent attacks on English merchant ships by North African pirates. A peace treaty is signed with Tripoli in 1676.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Charles II and the Oak Tree
- Charles II
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.