King Charles II
King Charles II
by James Parmentier
oil on copper, circa 1685
5 3/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (136 mm x 115 mm)
Bequeathed by Peter Spencer, 1862
Sitterback to top
- King Charles II (1630-1685), Reigned 1660-85. Sitter associated with 295 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Probably a posthumous commemoration of the King, whose portrait is shown being carried to heaven by the goddess of wisdom, Minerva, and a group of angels. In the background is a view of Windsor.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 68
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 117
Events of 1685back to top
Current affairsCharles II dies, his heir, Catholic brother, James II, succeeds to the throne. Despite deep distrust by many Protestants, he initially experiences unexpected popularity.
James Scott, Duke of Monmouth, leads the Monmouth Rebellion ambitious to seize the throne. Following his defeat at Sedgemoor, Monmouth is executed at Tower Hill.
Art and scienceOpera Universa, by physician Thomas Sydenham, considered the father of English medicine, is published in London.
Organist, Henry Purcell composes, My heart is inditing, for the coronation of James II and his queen, Mary of Modena.
Writer on dentistry, Charles Allen publishes the earliest known English book on dentistry.
InternationalThe Edict of Fontainebleau is issued by Louis XIV revoking the Edict of Nantes which gave Huguenots a right to practice their religion, free from persecution. Although Huguenots had steadily left France since the Dragonnades in 1681, this edict essentially ended official religious toleration in France.
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- WebQuest: Famous People Guy Fawkes
- Charles II
- WebQuest: Pepys, Nelson, Seacole
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- landing banner 2
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- landing banner 1