Kenneth Clark, Baron Clark
1 portrait on display in Room 32 at the National Portrait Gallery
Kenneth Clark, Baron Clark
by Graham Sutherland
oil on canvas, 1963-1964
21 1/2 in. x 18 in. (546 mm x 457 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Kenneth Clark, Baron Clark (1903-1983), Art historian and museum director. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Graham Vivian Sutherland (1903-1980), Painter. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 61 portraits.
This portraitback to top
At the time this portrait was painted, in the early 1960s, Clark was a Trustee of the British Museum, on the Advisory Council of the Victoria and Albert Museum and had recently been Slade Professor at Oxford. Sittings took place in the garden of Sutherland's house at Trottiscliffe in Kent between February 1962 and December 1964. The artist has portrayed his old friend Clark in profile, echoing the 15th century Italian tradition.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 210
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 210
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 126
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 37, 186
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, Kent (artist's home, White House, Trottiscliffe, West Malling, Kent)
Events of 1963back to top
Current affairsThe Secretary of State for War, John Profumo is found to have lied to the House of Commons when he denied having an affair with the showgirl, Christine Keeler. The Profumo Affair was a public scandal for the Conservative party, and ultimately contributed to the resignation of Harold Macmillan.
Art and scienceDoctor Who is first broadcast on the BBC with William Hartnell playing the Doctor. This long running science fiction series about an alien Time Lord who travels through time and space in his police-box-shaped Tardis has been watched by generations of viewers (often from behind the back of the sofa), and features imaginative, but traditionally low-budget, special effects, innovative electronic music, and the Doctor's greatest enemy, the Daleks.
InternationalJohn F. Kennedy is assassinated in Texas. The arrest of Lee Harvey Oswald for his murder did not prevent a score of conspiracy theories involving Cuba, the CIA, the KGB, and the Mafia among others.
Martin Luther King delivers his 'I have a dream' speech, marking an important moment in the civil rights movement in America and helping to secure him the Nobel Peace Prize' in 1964.