- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Ramsay Richard Reinagle
oil on canvas, circa 1799
30 in. x 25 1/8 in. (762 mm x 638 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1917
Sitterback to top
- John Constable (1776-1837), Landscape painter. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Ramsay Richard Reinagle (1775-1862), Painter. Artist associated with 21 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Reinagle and Constable were students together at the Royal Academy. This portrait was probably painted when he stayed with Constable in East Bergholt during the summer of 1799.
Linked publicationsback to top
- 100 Portraits, p. 52
- Audio Guide
- Smartify image discovery app
- Gayford, Martin; Lyles, Anne, Constable Portraits: The Painter and his Circle, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 March to 14 June 2009), p. 60
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 71
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 80
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 141
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 117
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 127
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 73
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.
Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.
The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.
British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom.
Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.
The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.