- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Daniel Maclise
pencil, circa 1831
5 7/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (149 mm x 114 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Constable (1776-1837), Landscape painter. Sitter in 6 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Daniel Maclise (1806-1870), History and portrait painter. Artist associated with 108 portraits, Sitter associated with 17 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gayford, Martin; Lyles, Anne, Constable Portraits: The Painter and his Circle, 2009 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 March to 14 June 2009), p. 155
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 141
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 128
Events of 1831back to top
Current affairsParliamentary Reform Bill is rejected by the House of Lords prompting riots in Nottingham, Derby and Bristol.
Art and scienceMichael Faraday demonstrates electromagnetic induction.
Death of Lady Sarah Ponsonby, last of the famous Ladies of Llangollen who attracted many of the leading names in art and literature to visit them at their home in Plas Newydd, Wales.
Opening of New London Bridge, designed by John Rennie.
InternationalViolinist Niccolo Paganini arrives in England from Italy and embarks on a six month tour of the country after astonishing London audiences with his virtuoso performances.
Revolutionary outbreaks in Modena, Parma and the Papal States influenced by the July Revolution in France the previous year.