- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Henry William Pickersgill
oil on canvas, circa 1818-1819
29 7/8 in. x 25 in. (759 mm x 635 mm)
Artistback to top
- Henry William Pickersgill (1782-1875), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 108 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 14
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 12
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 149
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 133
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 33
Events of 1818back to top
Current affairsDeath of Charlotte Sophia of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, George III's Queen since 1761.
Official enquiry initiated into Queen Caroline's conduct abroad.
Art and scienceMary Shelley anonymously publishes her masterpiece Frankenstein; or, the Modern Prometheus which reflects growing concern about the role of morality in science.
Lord Byron completes his romance Childe Harolde's Pilgrimage, whose gloomy, dissolute hero was probably based on the writer himself.
InternationalStamford Raffles acquires authorisation to construct a fort at Singapore marking the beginning of its development as a centre of East-West trade.
Congress of European Alliance at Aix-La-Chapelle. Lord Castlereagh plays a central role in establishing a pan-Europe peace settlement to bring a chastened France back into the world of political respectability.