- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Michael Dahl
oil on canvas, 1691
49 in. x 39 in. (1245 mm x 991 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- Michael Dahl (1659-1743), Portrait painter. Sitter in 2 portraits, Artist associated with 166 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Michael Dahl (1659-1743), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 166 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This masterful self-portrait was painted when Dahl was little-known in England. In it he presents himself as a cultured artist, indicating his classical learning by pointing to an antique bust under which lie, as if in tribute, the tools of his trade, his palette and brushes. Although the architecture and pose are formal and his dress is luxurious, Dahl reminds the viewer of the physical work of an artist by leaving his shirt unbuttoned and his cropped hair without the customary wig.
Linked publicationsback to top
- I-Spy National Portrait Gallery, 2010, p. 20
- Smartify image discovery app
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 67
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 100
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 64
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 161
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 215