- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Thomas Murray
oil on canvas, circa 1697-1698
29 1/2 in. x 24 3/4 in. (749 mm x 629 mm)
Transferred from British Museum, 1879
Sitterback to top
- William Dampier (1651-1715), Circumnavigator and hydrographer. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Murray (1663-1735), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 86 portraits, Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 68
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 101
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 163
Events of 1697back to top
Current affairsWilliam III argues for the existence of a peacetime standing army to maintain England's safety. Unpopular with both political parties, Robert Harley, Earl of Oxford, leads the opposition against the proposal.
The first service at St. Paul Cathedral is held since the building was destroyed by the Great Fire.
Art and scienceCircumnavigator, William Dampier, publishes New Voyage Round the World.
Painter and member of the Whiggish Kit-Cat Club, Godfrey Kneller starts to paint the club's members devising a special portrait size for the series.