- Extended Catalogue Entry
after Joseph Wright
oil on canvas, based on a work of probably 1770s
30 in. x 25 in. (760 mm x 635 mm)
Artistback to top
- Joseph Wright (1734-1797), Painter, known as 'Wright of Derby'. Artist associated with 19 portraits, Sitter associated with 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hackmann, W.D., Apples and Atoms: Portraits of Scientists from Newton to Rutherford, 1986, p. 28
- Hart-Davis, Adam, Chain Reactions, 2000, p. 46
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 135
- Jordanova, Ludmilla, Defining Features: Scientific and Medical Portraits 1660-2000, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 April to 17 September 2000), p. 64
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 165
- Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantic Icons, 1999, p. 17
Events of 1770back to top
Current affairsAugustus FitzRoy, 3rd Duke of Grafton resigns as Prime Minister and is succeeded by Frederick North, 2nd Earl of Guilford.
Art and scienceOliver Goldsmith publishes his poem The Deserted Village.
Philosopher and politician Edmund Burke publishes Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents discussing the limits of the King's authority.
17-year-old Thomas Chatterton, later hailed as a significant poet, commits suicide in a London garret.
Thomas Gainsborough paints his portrait of Jonathan Buttall, which later becomes known as The Blue Boy.
International'Townshend duties' on imports into the colonies are repealed, except for the duty on tea. However, this concession is soon followed by the Boston Massacre, in which British troops fire into an unruly crowd in Boston, killing five.
Captain Cook reaches the eastern coast of Australia, at a place which he names Botany Bay. He discovers the Great Barrier Reef when HMS Endeavour runs onto it. Cook claims New South Wales for the British.
See this portrait
On display in Room 13 at the National Portrait Gallery
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer