- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
oil on canvas, circa 1760-1765
29 3/4 in. x 25 in. (756 mm x 635 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Robert Dinwiddie (1693-1770), Lieutenant-Governor of Virginia. Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
The identification is traditional and strongly supported by comparison with a miniature of about the same date. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
- Kerslake, John, Early Georgian Portraits, 1977, p. 69
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 180
Events of 1760back to top
Current affairsDeath of George II on 25 October at the age of 76. George III succeeds to the throne at the age of 22.
Art and scienceGerman artist Johan Zoffany arrives in England, where he is instrumental in reviving the 'conversation piece' genre of painting.
First public exhibition of paintings in England is held at the Society of Arts' Great Room in the Strand, London.
The Public Ledger is founded; the oldest British periodical with continuous daily publication.
InternationalSeven Years' War: At the Battle of Carrickfergus in Ireland, a force of French troops captures the town of Carrickfergus before retiring.
Surrender of Montreal to the British under General Jeffrey Amherst signals the virtual loss of Canada by the French. British troops oust the Nawab of Bengal Mir Jafar and replace him with Mir Quasim.
Former Chief Tacky leads an unsuccessful slave rebellion in Jamaica, which aims to overthrow British rule.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project