after Isaac Oliver
oil on canvas, possibly late 17th century, based on a work of 1616
21 in. x 17 1/2 in. (533 mm x 445 mm)
Artistback to top
- Isaac Oliver (circa 1565-1617), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait is based on a miniature by Isaac Oliver painted in 1616.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Charles Nicholl, Shakespeare and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 87
- Nicholl, Charles, Character Sketches: Elizabethan Writers, 1997, p. 34
- Nicholl, Charles, Insights: Shakespeare and His Contemporaries, 2005, p. 67
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 183
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 65
Events of 1616back to top
Current affairsPlaywright, William Shakespeare, dies in Stratford-Upon-Avon on 23rd April, after he contracted a fever. He is buried days later inside Holy Trinity Church in Stratford.
James I's second son, Charles, is invested as Prince of Wales at a lavish ceremony at Whitehall.
Art and sciencePoet and playwright Benjamin Jonson, is granted a royal pension effectively establishing him as the first poet laureate in all but name.
Queen Anne commissions Inigo Jones to design a pavilion at Greenwich, the Queen's House.
InternationalSir Walter Ralegh, released from prison, begins planning an expedition to Guiana in search of El Dorado. With established Spanish settlements in the area, Ralegh's expedition unsettled the court which sought lasting peace with Spain.
The Catholic Church places Nicolaus Copernicus's De revolutionibus, 1543, on its list of prohibited books.
Watch our playlist exploring scientific techniques used by the Gallery to unlock the secrets behind our Tudor portraits.
Subjects and themes
Search the collection by themes - from pets to weddings!
Black History Month
Take a tour exploring our Collection created by Alayo Akinkugbe for Black History Month in 2020.
A Picture of Health
Learn about pioneers in medicine, health and social reform from 1840 to 1920.
- Searching for Shakespeare
- John Donne
- The Conservation of the portrait of John Donne
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Recent acquisition: John Donne
- My Favourite Portrait by Leonie Frieda
- John Donne
- John Donne nearly finished...
- Who do you think you were?
- Tudor Miniatures
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.