- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, 1693
49 in. x 39 3/4 in. (1245 mm x 1010 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Dryden (1631-1700), Dramatist and Poet Laureate. Sitter associated with 31 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1686 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 80
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 113
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 187
- Simon, Jacob, The Art of the Picture Frame: Artists, Patrons and the Framing of Portraits in Britain, 1997 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 8 November 1996 - 9 February 1997), p. 44, 154 Read entry
Carved and silvered pine, mitred and keyed, the frame slightly reduced in size, perhaps by 1⁄ 2 inch, as indicated by the former keys cut through at the mitres, the surface stripped, regessoed, reworked, resilvered and toned. 5 1⁄ 4 inches wide.
A silvered bunched leaf frame of a style introduced in the 1660s and rather old-fashioned by the time this portrait was painted in the 1690s. Although the frame is of fine quality, its surface has been stripped and renewed and the corners slightly cut making it unlikely that the frame is original to the picture.
Events of 1693back to top
Current affairsWilliam III shift to the Whigs is made apparent by his appointment of John Somers and John Trenchard to senior government posts; his initial preference for mixed ministries waned principally due to Whig support of his foreign policies.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve, stages his first two plays; The Old Bachelor is enthusiastically received, conversely his subsequent play, The Double Dealer, is not met with the same approval. In response, Congreve angrily attacks his critics in the dedication of its first publication.
InternationalBattle of Landen. French army heavily defeats English and Dutch forces under William III. William's retreat from the French cavalry is made possible by the defence of the bridge at Neerhespen, by Huguenot leader, Henri de Massue de Ruvigny.
French defeat the British and Dutch merchant fleet, the Smyrna convoy.
Do, draw and make!
Do, draw and make!
From building dens to food faces – enjoy our Playful Portraits activities and find out about some brilliant people!
Activities for children and families inspired by three healthcare heroes from our Collection.
Downloadable and web based resources to support learning at home linked to art, history, citizenship and literacy.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.