- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt
oil on canvas, circa 1705
36 in. x 28 1/4 in. (914 mm x 718 mm)
Given by the Art Fund, 1945
Sitterback to top
- Edmund Dunch (1657-1719), Whig politician and Master of the Royal Household to Queen Anne. Sitter in 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Godfrey Kneller, Bt (1646-1723), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 1683 portraits, Sitter associated with 30 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 83
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 116
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 189
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1705back to top
Current affairsThe Act for the Naturalization of Princess Sophia, Electress of Hanover, following the Act of Settlement, 1701, ensures Sophia and her descendants, if Protestant, would succeed to the throne.
The passing of the Alien Act in Parliament deems any Scot in England to be a foreign subject.
Art and scienceAstronomer, Edmond Halley, publishes his celebrated work Synopsis astronomia cometicae.
Architect, Sir John Vanbrugh is appointed to design Blenheim Palace, a gift from the queen to John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough, in recognition of his victory against the French at Blindheim, Bavaria.