King Edward IV
King Edward IV
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, 1597-1618
22 1/2 in. x 17 5/8 in. (572 mm x 448 mm)
Sitterback to top
- King Edward IV (1442-1483), Reigned 1461-70 and 1471-83. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Cooper, Tarnya; Fraser, Antonia (foreword), A Guide to Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 2012, p. 26
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 195
- Tarnya Cooper, Elizabeth I & Her People, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014), p. 13
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 73
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early kings and queens (19 July 2011 - 4 December 2011)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1597back to top
Current affairsPhilip II of Spain launches another armada against England. As in 1588, the fleet is dispersed by a storm, which is celebrated as divine intervention.
Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex is made Earl Marshall.
Charles Howard, Baron Howard of Effingham is created Earl of Nottingham.
King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) publishes Daemonologie, an attack on witchcraft that incites a fever for witch-hunts.
Art and scienceWilliam Shakespeare writes The Merchant of Venice.
The musician John Dowland publishes The First Booke of Songes or Ayres, the most successful music publication of the period.
InternationalPhilip II of Spain opens peace negotiations with Henry IV of France after his army in the Spanish Netherlands fails to defeat the forces of France or the Protestant United Provinces of the northern Netherlands.
The Japanese ruler Toyotomi Hideyoshi lunches a second invasion of Korea.
Exhibitions and displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- His Picture in Little: Shakespeare, Hamlet and Tacita Dean
Until 28 May
- Votes for Women
Until 3 June
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Rebel women test
- Early Kings and Queens: a set of panel portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
11 May, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
13 May, 12:30