Queen Elizabeth I
8 of 10125 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'In profile'
Queen Elizabeth I
by Unknown artist
electrotype of a so-called pattern for a sovereign, 19th century, based on a work from the late 16th century
1 in. x 1/2 in. (25 mm x 13 mm)
Given by Sir George Scharf, 1877
Sitterback to top
- Queen Elizabeth I (1533-1603), Reigned 1558-1603. Sitter associated with 135 portraits.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D13223: facsimile of signature of Queen Elizabeth I (incorporates facsimile of metal pattern in BM and a false portrait) (includes the portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 200
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 108,209,248
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1570back to top
Current affairsPope Pius V issues a Papal 'bull' excommunicating Queen Elizabeth I from the Catholic Church. The bull provokes widespread anti-Catholicism in England.
Elizabeth contemplates marriage with either Charles, Archduke of Austria or Henri, Duke of Anjou.
Art and sciencePublication of The Scholemaster by the royal tutor Roger Ascham, which popularises the educational views of the English nobility.
The mathematician and antiquary John Dee's preface to the first English translation of Euclid's Elements of Geometrie anticipates the experimental science of the seventeenth century.
The Italian architect Andrea Palladio published I Quattro Libri dell'Architettura (The Four Books of Architecture).
InternationalTreaty of St Germain-en-Laye ends the Third War of Religion in France. Huguenots (French Protestants) are granted religious freedom and the Huguenot leader Admiral Gaspard de Coligny becomes a dominant force at court.
The Treaty of Stettin - Denmark agrees to recognise the independence of Sweden and Sweden abandons its claim to Norway.
Ivan IV (the Terrible), Tsar of Russia, oversees the Massacre of Novgorod.