- Extended Catalogue Entry
begun by Sir Thomas Lawrence
oil on panel, 1828
30 in. x 24 1/2 in. (762 mm x 622 mm)
Transferred from Tate Gallery, 1957
Sitterback to top
- John Fawcett (1768-1837), Actor and dramatist. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 686 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 215
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 180
Events of 1828back to top
Current affairsDuke of Wellington becomes Prime Minister.
Madhouse Act attempts to regulate asylums and ensure new arrivals are genuinely insane.
Repeal of the Test Acts removes political restrictions from dissenters, allowing them to hold public office.
Art and scienceLondon Zoological Gardens open in Regent's Park. They provide both entertainment and a supply of exotic specimens for naturalists and anatomists such as Richard Owen who becomes a European authority on the subject.
InternationalDaniel O'Connell is elected Member of Parliament for County Clare but as a Catholic is not permitted to take his seat.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history