- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Philip Alexius de László
oil on board, 1914
28 7/8 in. x 23 3/8 in. (734 mm x 593 mm) image size
Given by the sitter's granddaughter, Pamela Myers (née Fildes) and her husband, Bernard Louis Myers, 1973
Sitterback to top
- Sir (Samuel) Luke Fildes (1843-1927), Illustrator and genre and portrait painter. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist associated with 13 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Philip Alexius de László (1869-1937), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 21 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 217
Events of 1914back to top
Current affairsFollowing Germany's declaration of war on France and invasion of Belgium, Herbert Henry Asquith, the British Prime Minister, declares war on the German Empire on August 4, 1914. The popular belief that the conflict would be 'over by Christmas' was soon found to be a bitter underestimate of the scale of the war.
Art and scienceThe fist issue of the periodical Blast is published by Wyndham Lewis, announcing the advent of Vorticism. This movement, named by Ezra Pound and taking in art and poetry, combined the vitality and dynamism of Italian Futurism with the geometric structure of Cubism. Vorticism was a direct challenge to the perceived quaint and domestic style of the Bloomsbury group and Roger Fry's Omega Workshop.
InternationalOn June 28th 1914, Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria is assassinated in Sarajevo leading to Austria's declaration of war against Serbia and triggering the First World War. Germany declared war on Serbia's ally, Russia, and then marched on France via Belgium. Soon all of Europe and most of the world was embroiled in total war.
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Correspondence and Papers of Philip de László
- Learn more about Philip de László
- Guide to the correspondence and papers of Philip de László
- Online index and preliminary list
- Other archive material relating to Philip de László in the National Portrait Gallery
- Other sources of information about Philip de László
- Selected letters of Philip de László
- Artist - Laszlo
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Tudor pick up guides
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints