Sir John Finet
2 of 1529 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Buildings and architecture'
Sir John Finet
copy by George Perfect Harding, after Unknown artist
watercolour, 19th century, based on a work of circa 1609
11 1/8 in. x 8 1/2 in. (282 mm x 216 mm)
Artistsback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 217
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 118
Portrait setback to top
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1609back to top
Current affairsJames I, Queen Anne and their children attend the inauguration of The New Exchange, a shopping centre built by Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury in the Strand. The opening underlined Salisbury's dominance in the development of this affluent area of London.
Soldier, Sir Francis Vere, is buried in Westminster Abbey.
Art and scienceHistorian and poet, Samuel Daniel, completes the last book of his epic poem, Civil Wars, a history of the hostilities between the royal houses of Lancaster and York. It was one of Daniel's greatest literary achievements.
Cornelius Drebbel invents the thermostat.
InternationalPromoted by administrator, Sir William Parsons, in the aftermath of the Nine Years' War, the Plantation of Ulster encourages English and Scottish Protestants to settle in Ireland and establish towns on land confiscated from Irish Catholics.
English castaways, destined for Virginia, are shipwrecked on Bermuda to become its first colonizers.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- 2019 Anniversaries
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30