after Hans Holbein the Younger
oil on paper, 16th century, based on a work of circa 1527
8 1/4 in. x 7 1/2 in. (210 mm x 191 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Fisher (1469-1535), Bishop of Rochester, cardinal and martyr. Sitter associated with 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Hans Holbein the Younger (1497 or 1498-1543), Painter, printmaker and designer; son of Hans Holbein the Elder. Artist associated with 308 portraits, Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This drawing is a rare survival of a face pattern used by an artist's studio to produce a painted portrait. It is probable that many other such patterns would have been made for other sitters.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Tudor Portraits Resource Pack, p. 11
- MacLeod, Catharine, Tudor Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery Collection, 1996, p. 11
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 218
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 119
Events of 1527back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII tries to obtain the annulment of his marriage to Catherine of Aragon and sends envoys to the Pope to seek his support.
An Anglo-French alliance is made between King Henry VIII and Francis I of France.
Art and scienceSir Thomas More, author of Utopia, is painted by the German artist Hans Holbein the Younger
InternationalRome sacked by imperial forces. Pope Clement VII is imprisoned and most of Italy falls under the control of the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V.
Florence becomes a republic after the Medici rulers, nephews of Pope Clement VII, are exiled.
Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
Test your memory by playing our matching pairs game. Three levels of difficulty make it fun for the whole family.
Regency familiar faces
Rearrange tiles to uncover sitters from the Gallery's Collection by playing our puzzle game.
Who do you think you were?
Answer a few lifestyle questions about the Elizabethan period and discover your inner Elizabethan!
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Tudor Miniatures
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Tints, texture and original intent, in four after-Holbein portraits
- Technique and effects of the after-Holbein copyists
- Holbein and his copyists
- The contexts for the production and demand for painted versions and copies in the sixteenth and early seventeenth century
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Holbein - Technique and Imitation
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.