- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Helena G. de Courcy Jones, after Unknown artist
watercolour and bodycolour on ivory, 1919, based on a work of 1801?
2 1/2 in. x 2 in. (64 mm x 51 mm) oval
Given by the sitter's grandson, Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie, 1919
Sitterback to top
- Matthew Flinders (1774-1814), Hydrographer; inventor of the Flinders Bar. Sitter in 1 portrait.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This miniature is one of two copies by the copiest Helena Jones, commissioned in 1919. The original miniature by an unknown artist is said to have been painted in 1801 when Flinders would have been on his return to England from his Australian voyage.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1801back to top
Current affairsWlliam Pitt and Lord Castlereagh both resign over the King's refusal to permit the introduction of Catholic emancipation. Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth succeeds Pitt as Prime Minister.
Census records 9 million people living in England and Wales, 5.2 million in Ireland and 1.6 million in Scotland.
Art and scienceRadical writer, Amelia Opie publishes her best known novel The Father and the Daughter. Said to have reduced Walter Scott to tears, it went on to enjoy success as an opera and a play.
InternationalOther members of the First Coalition fighting France with Britain agree to a humiliating peace treaty and Britain fights on alone.
A successful campaign is fought against the French army marooned in Egypt. General Sir Ralph Abercromby leads the troops but is killed in action.
Thomas Jefferson is elected President of the United States.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- Peterloo 1819: Democracy, Protest and Justice
From 26 July
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 31 May 2020
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
26 July, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
25 July, 12:30