1 portrait on display in Room 12 at the National Portrait Gallery
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Thomas Gainsborough
oil on canvas, circa 1758-1759
30 in. x 25 in. (762 mm x 635 mm)
Accepted in lieu of tax by H.M. Government and allocated to the Gallery, 1965
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Sitter in 8 portraits, Artist associated with 262 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788), Portrait and landscape painter. Artist associated with 262 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Allocated by H.M. Government, 1965.
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 46
- Audio Guide
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 176
- Rideal, Liz, Insights: Self-portraits, 2005, p. 93
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery: An Illustrated Guide, 2000, p. 99
- Saumarez Smith, Charles, The National Portrait Gallery, 1997, p. 98
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 235
- Schama, Simon, The Face of Britain: The Nation Through its Portraits, 2015-09-15, p. 204
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 107
Events of 1758back to top
Current affairsComet observed in previous centuries returns exactly at the time predicted by astronomer Edmond Halley and is subsequently known by his name.
Art and scienceLiverpool-born artist George Stubbs sets up in London as a painter.
James Woodforde, an English country parson, begins a detailed diary of everyday life, which is later published as Diary of a Country Parson.
InternationalSeven Years' War: British General John Forbes captures the strategic French stronghold Fort Duquesne and renames it Pittsburgh after British Secretary of State, William Pitt the Elder. British troops capture Louisbourg, Nova Scotia.
Pope Clement XIII succeeds Pope Benedict XIV as the 248th pope.
See this portrait
On display in Room 12 at the National Portrait Gallery
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer