30 of 31 portraits matching these criteria:
- set matching 'Victorian artists by David Wilkie Wynfield'
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by David Wilkie Wynfield
albumen print, circa 1864
8 3/8 in. x 6 3/8 in. (213 mm x 162 mm)
Given by H. Saxe Wyndham, 1937
Sitterback to top
- William Gale (1823-1909), Painter. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- David Wilkie Wynfield (1837-1887), Painter and photographer. Artist associated with 34 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 235
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield (28 January 2000 - 14 May 2000)
Events of 1864back to top
Current affairsFirst of the Contagious Diseases Act. These acts allowed for the arrest, medical inspection and confinement of any woman suspected of being a prostitute in the port towns. Following huge public outcry over their discrimination against women, notably led by Josephine Butler, leader of the Ladies' National Association, the acts were eventually repealed.
Octavia Hill starts work on slums, and the International Working Men's Association is founded in London.
Art and scienceThe Scottish physicist James Clerk Maxwell presents his discoveries in the field of electromagnetics to the Royal Society. His paper A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field expresses the basic laws of electricity and magnetism in unified fashion. Maxwell's equations, as his rules came to be known, helped create modern physics, laying the foundation for future work in special relativity and quantum mechanics.
InternationalAustria and Prussia combine forces to seize Schleswig-Holstein from Denmark.
Britain cedes Corfu, acquired from France in the Second Treaty of Paris (1815) to Greece. Although Britain had vigorously suppressed an uprising in 1849 in Cephalonia aiming to restore Iolian islands, the government changed policy throughout the 1850s and 60s.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints