- Extended Catalogue Entry
studio of Johan Joseph Zoffany
oil on canvas, feigned oval, 1763
29 5/8 in. x 24 7/8 in. (752 mm x 632 mm)
Transferred from Tate Gallery, 1957
Sitterback to top
- David Garrick (1717-1779), Actor, playwright and theatre manager. Sitter associated with 56 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Johan Joseph Zoffany (1733-1810), Painter of portraits and conversation pieces. Artist associated with 46 portraits, Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 180
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 238
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1763back to top
Current affairsJohn Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute resigns as Prime Minister following sustained attacks in the press and parliament. He is succeeded by George Grenville.
Radical John Wilkes is arrested for attacking the king in his weekly satirical publication The North Briton. His arrest is declared illegal by Chief Justice Pratt and he is released, though expelled from Parliament.
Art and scienceBiographer James Boswell is introduced to the writer Samuel Johnson for the first time at Thomas Davies's bookshop in Covent Garden, London.
Josiah Wedgwood receives orders for his pottery from Queen Charlotte. He names his range of pottery 'Queen's Ware' after her.
American painter Benjamin West settles in London, where he becomes famous for his large-scale history scenes.
InternationalPontiac, an Ottawa chief, leads an uprising of the Indian tribes in America in an attempt to drive the British east. Royal Proclamation of 1763 is made by George III, regulating westward expansion of British North America.
Seven Years' War: Treaty of Paris between Britain, France, Spain and Portugal and Treaty of Hubertusburg between Prussia and Austria end the Seven Years' War, leaving Britain in control of Canada, India and much of the Caribbean.
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Late Eighteenth Century Prints and Drawings
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - David Garrick <> Karl Abel
- Only Connect - installation video
- The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- 2017 Anniversaries
- Duplicate of The First Actresses: Nell Gwyn to Sarah Siddons
- Brilliant Women
- The artist's porte-crayon