King George III
- Extended Catalogue Entry
King George III
by Francis Philibert Hardenberg
painted plaster statuette, 1820
11 1/4 in. (286 mm) high
Given by Eric Bullivant through the Art Fund, 1964
Sitterback to top
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 193 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Francis Philibert Hardenberg (active 1783-died 1852), Sculptor. Artist of 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Hardenberg's plaster statuette, dated 8 May 1820, was produced in commemoration three months after the King's death. It shows George III, as he would have appeared around 1805, in the patriotic 'Windsor Uniform' which he designed in 1779 for the Royal family.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 195
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 241
Events of 1820back to top
Current affairsGeorge III dies at Windsor Castle on 29 January and George IV ascends to the throne.
'Trial of Queen Caroline' in the House of Lords; Parliament drops the Bill which was to legitimise a divorce between Caroline and George IV.
Cato Street Conspiracy to assassinate the cabinet discovered. Arthur Thistlewood and fellow conspirators are hung.
Art and scienceSir Thomas Lawrence becomes President of the Royal Academy.
Astronomical Society is set up by John Herschel and Charles Babbage.
First iron steamship is launched.
InternationalActor, Edmund Kean goes on a successful tour of America after making his name at the Drury Lane Theatre.
Revolutions begin in Spain, Portugal and Naples.
The famous ancient Greek statue of the Venus de Milo is rediscovered on the Island of Melos and purchased by the Louvre in Paris.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints