Adam Walker and his family
1 of 5 portraits of Adam Walker
- Extended Catalogue Entry
Adam Walker and his family
by George Romney
oil on canvas, 1796-1801
53 1/4 in. x 65 1/4 in. (1352 mm x 1657 mm)
Bequeathed by the sitter's granddaughter, Miss Ellen Elizabeth Gibson, 1897
Artistback to top
- George Romney (1734-1802), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 162 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Sittersback to top
- Eliza Gibson (née Walker) (died 1856), Daughter of Adam Walker. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Adam Walker (1731-1821), Inventor and writer. Sitter in 5 portraits. Identify
- Adam John Walker (1769 or 1770-1839), Divine; second son of Adam Walker. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Deane Franklin Walker (1778-1865), Astronomer; youngest son of Adam Walker. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- Eleanor Walker (active 1764-circa 1801), Wife of Adam Walker. Sitter in 1 portrait. Identify
- William Walker (1766?-1816), Astronomer; eldest son of Adam Walker. Sitter in 3 portraits. Identify
This portraitback to top
As a longstanding friend of the sitter's Romney described the painting as 'his favourite picture of friendship'.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 506
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 711
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1796back to top
Current affairsBirth of Princess Charlotte, only child of George, Prince of Wales and Princess Caroline whose marriage soon quickly and publicly degenerates.
Art and scienceFanny Burney publishes Camilla, one of several influential novels exploring social misunderstanding and the fashionable mode of sensibility.
Architect William Chambers completes the building of Somerset House.
Collector William Beckford, the richest man in England, begins construction of his gothic fantasy Fonthill Abbey.
InternationalNapoleon Bonaparte assumes command of the French armies in Italy and defeats the Austrians at Millesimo and the Piedmontese at Mondovi.
Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, arrives in India as a colonel.
John Adams is elected President of the United States, defeating Thomas Jefferson by three votes.
Develop your art skills
Discover our BP Next Generation short films made by artists. Follow step by step guides in drawing and painting techniques.
Hold Still photography workshop
Reflect on your own experiences of lockdown through this easy-to-do from home, photographic exercise.
Draw Like a Renaissance Master
Revisit The Encounter exhibition and learn about Renaissance and Baroque drawing methods and materials.
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.