5 of 25 portraits of John Gibson
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
pencil, circa 1860
12 in. x 8 1/2 in. (305 mm x 216 mm)
Sitterback to top
- John Gibson (1790-1866), Sculptor. Sitter in 25 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ormond, Richard, Early Victorian Portraits, 1973, p. 185
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 245
Events of 1860back to top
Current affairsAn early feminist movement, The Society for Promoting the Employment of Women is founded by Adelaide Anne Proctor, Emily Faithfull, Helen Blackburn, Bessie Parks, Emily Davies, Barbara Bodichon, and Jessie Boucherett.
The Florence Nightingale Training School for Nurses opens at St Thomas's Hospital, in London, funded from the testimonial fund collected for Nightingale following her war services, and helping to establish nursing as a profession.
Art and scienceWilliam Morris and new wife Jane Burden move into the Red House, near Bexleyheath, Kent. The house, designed by Philip Webb, represents Morris's principle in interior design, that no object should be in a house that is not beautiful.
Ford Madox Brown paints The Last of England, showing a boat of emigrants leaving England under desperate circumstances, inspired by the emigration of the Pre-Raphaelite Thomas Woolner to Australia in 1852.
InternationalItalian unification continues as the Treaty of Turin brings much of Northern Italy under nationalist leader Cavour's control, who cedes Savoy and Nice to France. Garibaldi siezes the opportunity to invade Marsala in Sicily with his army of 1,000 redshirts, proclaiming himself dictator in the name of Victor Emmanuel II.
Republican Abraham Lincoln becomes President of the US, with only 39% of the popular vote.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 1517: Martin Luther and the English Reformation
Until 2 December
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Brilliant Women
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Chartist Portraits
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Burdett-Coutts
15 October, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Richard III
21 October, 12:30
- Lunchtime Lecture: Shakespeare and the Resistance
1 November, 13:15
- Lunchtime Lecture: Society of Portrait Sculptors Annual Lecture: Laurence Edwards
15 November, 13:15