3 of 14 portraits of Thomas Gray
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Unknown artist
plaster cast of bust, circa 1771-1819
21 1/2 in. (546 mm) high
Given by Joshua W. Butterworth, 1888
This portraitback to top
The bust may have been intended for the flower garden at Stoke Poges House where Gray was a frequent visitor. The bust probably derives from the profile drawn by William Mason which it closely resembles. More detailed information on this portrait is available in a National Portrait Gallery collection catalogue, John Kerslake's Early Georgian Portraits (1977, out of print).
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1771back to top
Current affairsArtist Benjamin West exhibits his celebrated modern history painting The Death of Wolfe at the Royal Academy, commemorating the death of General James Wolfe at the 1759 Battle of Quebec during the Seven Years' War. The painting creates a sensation and George III commissions a copy.
Reporting of parliamentary debates is permitted.
Art and scienceRichard Arkwright begins to develop cotton mills at Cromford in the Derwent Valley, Derbyshire; one of the earliest factory complexes.
Botanist James Robertson makes the first recorded ascent of Ben Nevis.
Encyclopedia Britannica is completed with 2,931 pages.
First recorded cricket match is played in Horsham, West Sussex.
InternationalFirst voyage of James Cook ends. HMS Endeavour anchors in the port of Deal, Kent following its three-year global circumnavigation.
Spain cedes the Falkland Islands to Britain.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Icons and Identities: Shakespeare to Winehouse
Until 17 July
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.