Sir Thomas Gresham
Sir Thomas Gresham
by Unknown Netherlandish artist
oil on panel, circa 1565
39 1/2 in. x 28 1/2 in. (1003 mm x 724 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir Thomas Gresham (circa 1518-1579), Founder of the Royal Exchange. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Gresham's clothing in this portrait is an exercise in restrained yet costly elegance. Scientific examination has revealed that the fingers on his right hand were lengthened during painting, perhaps in an attempt to make his grip on his purse appear more relaxed.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Lucinda Hawksley, Moustaches, Whiskers and Beards, 2014, p. 28
- Piper, David, The English Face, 1992, p. 44
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 39
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 264
- Tarnya Cooper, Elizabeth I & Her People, 2013 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014), p. 133
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Elizabeth I and Her People (10 October 2013 - 5 January 2014)
- Double Take: versions and Copies of Tudor Portraits (25 June 2012 - 12 September 2012)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1565back to top
Current affairsMary, Queen of Scots marries her second husband Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.
Sir Henry Sidney is appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland.
Art and scienceThe Royal College of Physicians receives official permission to carry out human dissections.
The first recorded manufacture of lead pencils.
InternationalThe Knights Hospitaller repel the forces of Suleiman I, Sultan of the Ottoman Empire at the siege of Malta. Ottoman advances into Western Europe are halted and the celebrated admiral Turgut Reis is killed.
A Spanish expedition establishes the city of St Augustine in present-day Florida, the first permanent European settlement in North America.
The first Spanish settlement in Philippines is established at Cebu.
See this portrait
On display in Room 2 at the National Portrait Gallery