by Charles Buchel (Karl August Büchel)
oil on canvas, 1918
36 in. x 28 in. (914 mm x 711 mm)
Bequeathed by Una Elena Vincenzo (née Taylor), Lady Troubridge, 1963
Sitterback to top
- Radclyffe Hall (Marguerite Antonia Radclyffe-Hall) (1880-1943), Novelist. Sitter in 9 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Charles Buchel (Karl August Büchel) (1872-1950). Artist associated with 37 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this portrait Hall's short hair, masculine jacket, cravat and monocle, proclaim her defiance of convention.
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 103
- 100 Pioneering Women, p. 86
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 208
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 217
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 272
- Tinker, Christopher, Speak its Name! - Quotations by and about Gay Men and Women, 2016, p. 88
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 196