Sir John Harington
Sir John Harington
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, circa 1590-1595
22 1/2 in. x 18 1/8 in. (572 mm x 460 mm)
Sitterback to top
- Sir John Harington (baptised 1560-1612), Wit and writer; translator of 'Orlando Furioso'. Sitter in 10 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Charles Nicholl, Shakespeare and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 91
- Nicholl, Charles, Character Sketches: Elizabethan Writers, 1997, p. 39
- Nicholl, Charles, Insights: Shakespeare and His Contemporaries, 2005, p. 72
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 282
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 131
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs (19 February 2016 - 16 July 2017)
Events of 1590back to top
Current affairsKing James VI of Scotland brings his wife Anne of Denmark to Edinburgh for her coronation at Holyrood Abbey.
Death of Walsingham, Queen Elizabeth I's Principal Secretary and spymaster.
The colonial governor John White returns to Roanoke Island (in present day North Carolina, USA) to find the settlement deserted. The lost colonists include his granddaughter Virginia Dare, the first English child to be born in America.
Art and scienceThe courtier, poet and soldier Sir Philip Sidney's pastoral romance Arcadia is published posthumously. It is one of the first English vernacular works to achieve a European readership, with translations into French, German, Dutch and Italian.
The poet and administrator Edmund Spenser publishes the first three books of The Faerie Queene, an epic allegorical poem in praise of Queen Elizabeth I.
InternationalHenry IV of France defeats the Catholic League under Charles, Duke of Mayenne at the Battle of Ivry. The King marches on Paris before being driven back by Catholic forces sent by Philip II of Spain.
Abbas I, Shah of Persia makes peace with the Ottoman Empire, allowing him to campaign agaist the Uzbeks.
Toyotomi Hideyoshi defeats the Hojo clan at the Siege of Odawara, Japan. The victory completes Hideyoshi's military reunification of Japan.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
17 December, 12:30
Tell us more
Help us conserve a portrait of a female adventurer, poet and medical pioneer