Sir John Harman
Sir John Harman
studio of Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1666
49 in. x 40 in. (1245 mm x 1016 mm)
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 843 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Harman was knighted and promoted to rear-admiral after the action against the Dutch off Lowestoft, where he commanded the Royal Charles, the flagship of James, Duke of York (later James II). He gained great renown in the Dutch war of 1673 despite the claim that 'he was weak and sick' and was said to have had 'a chair up on the quarterdeck and to have sat unmoved in the storm of shot'. As a result of his share in this action he was promoted to Admiral of the Red but did not live to take command of his fleet. The original portrait of which this is a fine copy, probably by Lely's studio, was one of the series of portraits of the Flagmen commissioned by James. On the left in the distance is a seascape showing a ship, which is firing a broadside, flying the cross of St George.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ollard, Richard, Character Sketches: Samuel Pepys and His Circle, 2000, p. 19
- Ollard, Richard, Pepys and his Contemporaries, 2015, p. 27
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 157
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 282
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle (31 March 2003 - 26 October 2003)
Events of 1666back to top
Current affairsThe Great Fire of London starts in a baker's shop in Pudding Lane, destroying two-thirds of the city. Charles II and James, Duke of York personally direct and manually assist with the fire-fighting effort. Thousands are left homeless, though few people die.
Art and scienceMathematical scientist, Isaac Newton, formulates a series of groundbreaking theories concerning light, colour, calculus, and, after supposedly watching an apple fall from a tree, the universal law of gravitation.
Nicholas Lanier, Master of the King's Music dies and Frenchman Louis Grabu is appointed the post.
InternationalThe Four Days' Battle. Dutch navy led by Admiral Michiel de Ruyter attacks the English fleet under George Monck, Duke of Albemarle, now Joint- Commander-in-Chief with Prince Rupert. Outcome of the battle is indecisive, though England loses twice as many men and ships, severely damaging the fleet.
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Barbara Villiers
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- Catherine Sedley
- 2018 Anniversaries
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints