after Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, based on a work of circa 1658
30 in. x 23 7/8 in. (762 mm x 607 mm)
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 159
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 283
Events of 1658back to top
Current affairsLord Protector, Oliver Cromwell dies from pneumonia at Whitehall on 3rd September. His effigy lay in state at Somerset House, the ceremony based upon that of James I. Cromwell's son, Richard Cromwell is nominated Lord Protector.
Granddaughter of James I, Princess Sophia marries Ernest Augustus, Elector of Hanover.
Art and sciencePuritan divine, Richard Baxter, publishes A Call to the Unconverted, a core text of evangelicalism.
Playwright, William Davenant stages his innovative The Cruelty of the Spaniards in Peru, relating to Oliver Cromwell's anti-Spanish policy. Presented as a musical, it circumvents the ban imposed during the Interregnum on dramatic performances.
InternationalJames, Duke of York, fighting alongside his brother, Henry, Duke of Gloucester, commands a Royalist contingent allied to Spanish forces against the armies of England, Holland and France at the Battle of the Dunes. Their defeat ends the prospect of a Royalist invasion of England with Spanish support.
- WebQuest: Cavaliers and Roundheads
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Duchess of Cleveland Appeal
- Alexander Browne and Richard Tompson
- Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II
- 2018 Anniversaries