- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Sir Thomas Lawrence
pastel on vellum, 1786
12 1/2 in. x 10 1/2 in. (318 mm x 267 mm) oval
Sitterback to top
- Warren Hastings (1732-1818), Governor-General of India. Sitter associated with 47 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 689 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Pickpocketing the rich : portrait painting in Bath 1720-1800, 2002 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from Catalogue of an exhibition held at the Holburne Museum of Art, Bath, 25 June - 15 Sept. 2002), p. 86 number 55
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 240
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 287
Events of 1786back to top
Current affairsPhilosopher and politician Edmund Burke instigates impeachment proceedings against Warren Hastings, former Governor-General of Bengal after concerns about the moral standards of the British in India are raised.
Prime Minister William Pitt appoints commissioners for the reduction of the national debt and establishes a sinking fund of £1 million a year.
Government approves the establishment of a penal colony at Botany Bay.
Art and scienceRobert Burns publishes Poems Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect bringing him immediate success across the country.
Engraver and publisher John Boydell initiates plans for his Shakespeare Gallery in an effort to establish a school of British history painting.
Merchant David Dale establishes New Lanark in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, as a model cotton milling community.
InternationalGeneral Charles Cornwallis succeeds Warren Hastings as Governor-General in India.
Composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Marriage of Figaro premieres in Vienna.
Francisco Goya is appointed court painter to the Spanish king Charles III.
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- 2018 Anniversaries
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Regency familiar faces
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints