Sir Christopher Hatton
5 of 13 portraits of Sir Christopher Hatton
Sir Christopher Hatton
by Unknown artist
oil on panel, probably 17th century, based on a work of 1589
31 in. x 26 in. (787 mm x 659 mm)
This portraitback to top
In this portrait he is shown holding a cameo of the Queen, worn on a chain around his neck.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Clare Gittings, The National Portrait Gallery Book of Elizabeth I, 2006, p. 15
- Cooper, John, Great Britons: The Great Debate, 2002, p. 37
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 50
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 65
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 288
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 136
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1589back to top
Current affairsSir Francis Drake sets sail from Plymouth in command of over 100 ships and 18,000 men. Ignoring orders to attack Spanish ports in the Bay of Biscay, the fleet embarks on a disastrous invasion of Portugal. After sacking La Coruña, Drake fails to take Lisbon and returns to face accusations of disobedience and cowardice.
King James VI of Scotland (later James I of England) marries Princess Anne of Denmark.
Art and scienceThe geographer Richard Hakluyt publishes Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation, a large collection of voyages from the fourth century to contemporary seamen such as Sir Francis Drake.
The satirical pamphleteer Thomas Nashe publishes The Anatomie of Absurdity, a criticism of contemporary literature.
InternationalAssassination of Henry III of France. On his deathbed, he recognises the Protestant Henry of Navarre as his successor. As Henry IV, he becomes the first of the Bourbon kings of France.
Recommended Exhibitions & displays
- 'This sceptred isle': Shakespeare and the Plantagenets
Until 1 December
- Tudor Miniatures
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
- Duplicate of Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project