King Henry IV
5 of 3114 portraits matching these criteria:
- subject matching 'Jewellery - Crowns and tiaras'
- 'Image on website'
King Henry IV
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Unknown artist
electrotype, 1875, based on a work of circa 1408-1427
43 in. (1092 mm) high
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
Henry IV's full-length effigy forms part of a double tomb shared with his wife, Joanna of Navarre. The hands on the original alabaster effigy in Canterbury Cathedral are badly damaged, as is shown in the electrotype copy of the upper part of the figure.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 295
- Strong, Roy, Tudor and Jacobean Portraits, 1969, p. 142
- Williamson, David, Kings and Queens, 2010, p. 64
- Williamson, David, The National Portrait Gallery: History of the Kings and Queens of England, 1998, p. 65
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Early English Kings: Medieval Monuments Remade (3 April 2012 - 31 March 2013)
Listen to a series of podcasts exploring the lives of pioneering women, past and present.
William Eggleston was closely associated with the alternative music scene in Memphis. Revisit our 2016 exhibition and listen to a special playlist.
Links to audio and transcripts of interviews with artists, sitters and historic recordings.
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Silhouettes display, 2004-05
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust
- 2019 Anniversaries
- William Hazlitt's Spirit of the Age
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Restoration Lives: Samuel Pepys and His Circle
- Brilliant Women
- Chartist Portraits
- Mary, Queen of Scots
- Nelson: before and after Trafalgar
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Rebel women
- Theodore de Mayerne
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Popular Prints of Victoria and Albert
- Gunpowder, Treason and Plot
- Searching for Shakespeare
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.