King Henry VII
13 of 23 portraits by Domenico Brucciani
King Henry VII
by Elkington & Co, cast by Domenico Brucciani, after Pietro Torrigiano
electrotype, 1870, based on a work of circa 1512-1519
34 5/8 in. x 20 1/8 in. (880 mm x 510 mm) overall
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 66 portraits.
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This electrotype is a copy from the upper part of the gilt bronze effigy of the king on the double tomb with his wife, Elizabeth of York, at Westminster Abbey. It is one of a series of electrotype reproductions of tomb effigies made for the National Portrait Gallery by Elkington & Co in the 1870s. An electrotype sculpture of this type is made by electro-deposition of copper onto a mould or cast of an object. The electrotype could then be patinated like bronze.
Linked publicationsback to top
Events of 1512back to top
Current affairsKing Henry VIII declares war on France. The English Fleet attacks villages on the French Coast and the port of Brest.
Art and scienceKing Henry VII's memorial chapel at Westminster Abbey is completed.
InternationalThe Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian I joins Pope Julius II's Holy League against France. The French commander in Italy, Gaston de Foix, is killed at the Battle of Ravenna and French advances are arrested.
Poland and Russia go to war over control of White Russia (present-day Belarus).
Read our latest news and have your say.
Identify our Silhouettes
Join enthusiastic contributors who have already identified 155 sitters.
Tell us more about our Silvy sitters
Help us identify the sitters who visited Camille Silvy’s photographic studio during the 1860s.
- Making History: Printed Portraiture in Tudor and Stuart Britain
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- My Favourite Portrait by David Cobley
- My Favourite Portrait by Sonia Boyce
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Tudor and Elizabethan matching pairs
- Loans to the National Gallery
- Mary, Queen of Scots: Fact and Fiction
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
Tell us more
Framed & unframed prints
Choose your favourite portrait from our Collection as a framed or unframed print for your home.