- Extended Catalogue Entry
by Samuel Laurence
oil on canvas, circa 1837
44 in. x 35 5/8 in. (1118 mm x 905 mm)
Given by the widow of the sitter's great-grandson, Mrs M.E. Leigh Hunt, 1931
Sitterback to top
- James Henry Leigh Hunt (1784-1859), Poet, essayist and critic. Sitter associated with 11 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Samuel Laurence (1812-1884), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 38 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The painter Samuel Laurence was the husband of Hunt's cousin. Artist and sitter knew each other well and this portrait is said to be the best likeness of the writer.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard, The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2013, p. 109
- Holmes, Richard, Insights: The Romantic Poets and Their Circle, 2005, p. 90
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 39
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 321
- Walker, Richard, Regency Portraits, 1985, p. 268
Events of 1837back to top
Current affairsThe controversial monarch William IV dies of pneumonia in June leaving no legitimate heirs, and is succeeded to the throne by his niece Victoria, one month after her eighteenth birthday.
The Registration Act of Births, Marriages and Deaths makes it compulsory for all births, marriages and deaths to be registered at a Registry Office.