1 portrait matching these criteria:
- Extended Catalogue Entry
by John Jackson, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
oil on canvas, 1813, based on a work of 1786
55 1/2 in. x 43 1/4 in. (1410 mm x 1099 mm)
Artistsback to top
This portraitback to top
This is a copy of portrait by Sir Joshua Reynolds, made in 1786. Hunter is shown seated at his writing table absorbed in thought, surrounded by medical specimens and books.
Related worksback to top
- NPG D18821: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D19254: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D20215: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D9006: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D36394: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D36395: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D36396: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D17261: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
- NPG D14236: John Hunter (based on same portrait)
Linked publicationsback to top
- Smartify image discovery app
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 274
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 322
Events of 1786back to top
Current affairsPhilosopher and politician Edmund Burke instigates impeachment proceedings against Warren Hastings, former Governor-General of Bengal after concerns about the moral standards of the British in India are raised.
Prime Minister William Pitt appoints commissioners for the reduction of the national debt and establishes a sinking fund of £1 million a year.
Government approves the establishment of a penal colony at Botany Bay.
Art and scienceRobert Burns publishes Poems Chiefly in the Scottish Dialect bringing him immediate success across the country.
Engraver and publisher John Boydell initiates plans for his Shakespeare Gallery in an effort to establish a school of British history painting.
Merchant David Dale establishes New Lanark in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, as a model cotton milling community.
InternationalGeneral Charles Cornwallis succeeds Warren Hastings as Governor-General in India.
Composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart's Marriage of Figaro premieres in Vienna.
Francisco Goya is appointed court painter to the Spanish king Charles III.
- Weekend Workshop: Gainsborough vs. Reynolds
From 22 February, 11:00